[python-committers] Vote to promote Stéphane Wirtel as a core dev

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Sun Mar 24 17:43:16 EDT 2019

Le dim. 24 mars 2019 à 15:52, Giampaolo Rodola' <g.rodola at gmail.com> a écrit :
> (..)
> That's how it's done in real life and has been done for the Steering
> Council elections, so I think we should do the same for core-dev
> nominations, and possibly also incarnate this in a PEP. It would be
> nice if such a PEP would encourage the person who proposes the
> nomination to provide a detailed description of the candidate (links
> to main past contributions, candidate's areas of interest, GIT
> statistics, etc.), so that the voters can express a better preference.

When I proposed Stéphane Wirtel to open a vote to promote him, I told
him that even if the result can be negative, it's ok, he should see
the vote as part of a "process" (to become a core dev sometime).
Feedbacks will help to identify things that should be enhanced. Well,
even if the result is "positive" (>= 2/3 majority), -1 justified votes
help for the same reason. Nobody is perfect, there are always things
that should be enhanced.

There are now multiple -1 votes and none has been justified in public.

It remains consistent with what Giampaolo just wrote: not having to
justify a vote helps to have a "fair" vote. I'm ok with that.

But now, I'm not sure how to use the vote result.

I would be interested that the ones who voted -1 would send me their
reasons in private (now and after the vote closes), so I can send an
*anonymous* feedback to Stéphane. I hope that you will trust me enough
to anonymize your feedback ;-) But I'm also fine with "-1 voters" who
are not comfortable to share their reason with me.

By the way, I'm also surprised to see that on 11 "+1" votes, only 3
added a comment. I'm not sure of the "value" of "+1" without a
comment. Does the voter know Stéphane and/or saw his work. How did the
voter make their decision? In the past, these comments helped me to
vote when I wasn't sure about a candidate. For example, if someone
showed a strong support, and I trust the voter, I follow their vote
(well, taking a decision is more complex than that in practice, but I
hope that you see my point).

Sorry, I'm just thinking aloud :-) It's just that I'm confused by the
novelty of this vote :-)

> On the other hand, I think votes for technical decisions (if any) are
> better if kept public, and possibly always accompained by a reason
> (otherwise abstention is better).

I agree.

Victor