[python-committers] Promote Stefan Behnel as a core developer

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 12:14:10 EDT 2019

I propose to promote Stefan Behnel (aka scoder on the tracker and
GitHub) as a core developer. Perhaps not one from us is surprised that
he is not yet a core developer. Stefan is a core developer of Cython and
lxml, two important projects in Python ecosystem. He is a coauthor of
PEP 489. His first patch is dated by 2010. He is not so active as other
candidates in writing patches (I have counted less than 20 of his
commits), but he is active on the bug tracker and mailing lists
(reported 95 issues and commented much more). His expertise in
XML-related issues was very important. He is assigned as an expert for
the xml.etree package.

Maybe you can add more about Stefan's merits. This is just what I know
personally. I worked a much with him and have very good impression about
him.

Ah, and the PSF also just granted him their quarterly community service
award for
2019-Q1. https://www.python.org/community/awards/psf-awards/#march-2019