[python-committers] [Steering-council] Re: Can we choose between mailing list and discuss.python.org?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 07:38:32 EST 2019

On Tue., 12 Feb. 2019, 7:18 am Brett Cannon <brett at python.org wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:26 AM Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Le lun. 11 févr. 2019 à 18:58, Carol Willing <willingc at gmail.com> a
>> écrit :
>> > PS Copying the steering council in case someone has a different view.
>>
>> So you chose a mailing list and not Discourse? Interesting ;-)
>>

> Don't read into that too much. With discuss.python.org not settled yet it
> made a mailing list non-controversial for setting up on day 1.

It also solves "How to contact the Steering Council?" problem, similar to
the way that python-committers makes it easier to contact all the core
developers in a way we're likely to see.

On Victor's original question, the Discourse experiment has been successful
enough that I don't see a problem with the committers mailing list going
essentially "announce only". I agree with Barry that going further than
that would require a PEP, but Discourse is bad enough for announcements
that I don't see much reason to do that.

Cheers,
Nick.