[python-committers] Could we focus our discourse, mail list on Python related issues?

Berker Peksağ berker.peksag at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 12:42:06 EDT 2019

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 6:19 PM Antoine Pitrou <antoine at python.org> wrote:
> Perhaps some Chinese people have reasons to be
> afraid when they see those good-willed initiatives done in the name of
> basic human rights.

I'm very familiar with the "they keep talking about democracy and
human rights so let's stick to our government and its policies"
mindset (they start to teach you this in elementary school in my home
country) and I think it only helps politicians to use people's
'support' to oppress them even more.

> Saying this isn't about politics is a bit fooling oneself IMHO.  Working
> conditions are a political question, and a political choice.  It has
> been since the XIXth century at least. Contemporary western societies
> have quite a bit to improve in that regard, especially as they seem to
> adopt more and more anti-worker policies...  (and, no, it's not the
> "populist right".  Look at all mainstream governments since the 1980s,
> left or right, and the kind of structural shifts in economic balance
> they have favoured.)

I think that depends on what do you understand from the term
'politics'. I said it's not about politics, because when people
discuss things with their political hat on, they tend to distort facts
and defend policies that are against them. IMO, every individual would
want to work in better conditions regardless of their opinions on
politics (freedom of speech, cheap education, and better health care
can be added to that list) Of course, as you pointed out, it doesn't
mean they will always make their political choices based on these
thoughts :)

--Berker