[python-committers] python-committers is dead, long live discuss.python.org

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sat Sep 29 06:17:24 EDT 2018

> On Sep 29, 2018, at 6:00 AM, Łukasz Langa <lukasz at langa.pl> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 29, 2018, at 10:44, Stefan Krah <stefan at bytereef.org> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry if I misunderstand this, but is the plan to moderate *core developers*
>> on python-committers?
>
> If you label it with an abstract term like this, it sounds like we just formed the Python Thought Police ;-)
>
> But think about the concrete examples of moderation and discussion flow that are going to be useful:
> - ability to link between topics
> - ability to see if somebody is actively replying on something you are also replying to
> - ability to edit your own post afterwards for clarity, typos, sending mishaps
> - ability to move topics around to where they belong better
> - ability to close a topic (no more replies) to indicate for example: "this is about a resolved issue", "this is about an outdated version of the PEP"
> - ability to make multiple quotes in a single post (which correctly link back for broader context)
> - ability to collapse out-of-band replies in a topic
>
> I could go on. In other words, unless the conversation REALLY gets heated, I doubt we will have to involve the code of conduct working group. But moderation and flow control is much more than banning abuse.

I’d also say that perhaps it’s less required on python-committers due to the invite only nature of the list (though I don’t think we’re immune here either). But as I understand it, one of the goals if the experiment works out well here, is to expand the lists that we move onto discourse to ones that are not invite only. In that regard, even if we never need the ability to manage inappropriate behavior on python-committers, we likey will at some point on the more public lists from time to time.