[python-committers] python-committers is dead, long live discuss.python.org

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 06:07:10 EDT 2018

On Sat, 29 Sep 2018 at 09:57, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat., 29 Sep. 2018, 11:19 am Barry Warsaw, <barry at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 28, 2018, at 17:45, Łukasz Langa <lukasz at langa.pl> wrote:
>>
>> > Do you use NNTP? Like with IRC, you won't find the next generation of core developers on it. And no, there is no support for it in Discourse.
>> >
>> > We could probably figure something out with Gmane if there's interest.
>>
>> Yes, I use NNTP to read many of the Python mailing lists.  Gmane, even in its current state, is fantastic.
>>
>> I’m all for supporting the next generation of developers, but not necessarily at the expense of *decades* of established workflow for current developers.  Moving to Discourse breaks this and proliferates browser tab syndrome.  It’s an experiment worth conducting, but I do think it’s a bit cavalier to shut down python-committers without further discussion.
>

> Especially on the eve of critical governance discussions that will heavily impact the future of python-dev.
>
> This is exactly the kind of arbitrary decision making by an insufficiently representative group that led to us banning making any binding decisions at language summits: their in-person nature means that they're inherently exclusive environments that lead to requirements being overlooked and decisions being made without involving most of the people affected.

Strong +1. We've yet to see most of the governance PEPs, and now it's
looking like the people involved in debating them will be hampered by
struggling with a new communication medium as well? And the new medium
was announced as a completely out of the blue surprise to most of us?

Suggestion: We mandate that all discussion on governance must remain
on the mailing list, and discussion on Discourse will be banned. That
way, no-one who is in the process of switching and doesn't yet feel
comfortable with the new medium will feel disenfranchised.

Paul