[python-committers] python-committers is dead, long live discuss.python.org

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Sep 28 21:19:37 EDT 2018

On Sep 28, 2018, at 17:45, Łukasz Langa <lukasz at langa.pl> wrote:

> Do you use NNTP? Like with IRC, you won't find the next generation of core developers on it. And no, there is no support for it in Discourse.
>
> We could probably figure something out with Gmane if there's interest.

Yes, I use NNTP to read many of the Python mailing lists.  Gmane, even in its current state, is fantastic.

I’m all for supporting the next generation of developers, but not necessarily at the expense of *decades* of established workflow for current developers.  Moving to Discourse breaks this and proliferates browser tab syndrome.  It’s an experiment worth conducting, but I do think it’s a bit cavalier to shut down python-committers without further discussion.

Cheers,
-Barry