[python-committers] Council / board (Was: 1 week to Oct 1)

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Tue Sep 25 12:02:18 EDT 2018

Le 25/09/2018 à 17:49, Victor Stinner a écrit :
> Le mar. 25 sept. 2018 à 13:57, Antoine Pitrou <antoine at python.org> a écrit :
>> Not sure what you mean here.  What you are asking for is routinely
>> called, AFAIK, "positive discrimination".  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>> You ask me to assume positive intent, but you are the one assuming
>> negative intent on my part...
>
> Note: in french, we say "discrimation positive", but in english, we
> prefer "positive action".

Well, apparently it may be about British English vs. American English:
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/positive_discrimination

... which brings us back to the linguistic issues I pointed out in a

> If anyone is interested to talk about diversity, code of conduct and
> things like that: please contact me in private.
>
> These topics are difficult to discuss in a public space. At least, I'm
> not comfortable today to talk about them in public. There are good
> reasons why people don't talk about things like that in public.

Perhaps, but there are also good reasons why debates that lead to
governance decisions should be help publicly.

While it's ok for personal anecdotes to only be shared privately,
mandating that general debate takes place privately will only shut down
debate.

Regards