[python-committers] Council / board (Was: 1 week to Oct 1)

Giampaolo Rodola' g.rodola at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 08:42:27 EDT 2018

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 1:52 PM Mariatta Wijaya <mariatta at python.org> wrote:

> > * Mariatta proposed to require to have a least one woman in that
> > council.
>
> > Why stop at women?
>

> My actual wording was: "not all white men", which actually means quite different from "must include one woman".
>
> I don't appreciate you jumping straight to accusing me for discrimination. Assume positive intent, and ask for clarity before scrutinizing and making accusations.

"white men", "women", "slave"... Personally I find this tendency quite
worrying and discriminating and frankly I don't understand what it has
to do with a programming language nor why it's emerging only recently.
Whoever ends up in the council, approves a PEP, writes a patch, merges
a PR... I think that person should be elected based *entirely* on
their merits, not because of their gender or skin color. Electing
someone just to represent a minority doesn't have anything to do with
IT and cannot lead to a good outcome in the long run IMHO.
--
Giampaolo - http://grodola.blogspot.com