[python-committers] Fw: CoC violation (was: Retire or reword the "Beautiful is better than ugly" Zen clause)

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 08:52:17 EDT 2018

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 7:07 AM Antoine Pitrou <antoine at python.org> wrote:

> I don't know of specifically French linguistic taboos, so I'm unable to
> answer this.  French culture generally doesn't ban words wholesale, even
> when used in quotes.  The very idea that you can't *quote* something
> despicable is foreign here.

Russian has a handful of taboo word and a long tradition of censoring them,
but most of such words have no English equivalent, so you won't see them in
this forum.

BTW, the "n-word" exists in Russian and is not a taboo, so like Antoine I
have to trust the moderators on the graveness of the offense of spelling it
out.  Still, this whole discussion reminds me an old Russian joke: "A
lesson in a kindergarten: ... and now, children, let's recite the words
that you should never use."