[python-committers] Fw: CoC violation (was: Retire or reword the "Beautiful is better than ugly" Zen clause)

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Fri Sep 21 07:06:17 EDT 2018

On 20/09/2018 22.25, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm choosing to forward this to python-committers because I don't think
> python-ideas is a reasonable place to discuss CoC decisions.
>
> I think the action taken by Brett (apparently decided with Titus and a
> mysterious "conduct working group") is not the right one:
>
> - a definitive ban is an extremely strong decision that should only be
> taken if nothing else works.  May I remind that Anatoly was able to post
> prolifically and unconstructively for several years, being warned
> several times, before being finally banned?  Comparatively, this one ban
> seems expeditive.

In my opinion it's both wrong and unfair to compare the ban with
Anatoly's ban. For one we didn't have a process and general consent for
bans. It took us a while to agree on the procedure. Also Anatoly wasn't
flat out hostile and insulting. He was mentally draining and exhausting
on a more subtle level.

I'm all in favor to ban people from python-dev or python-ideas for
deliberate misuse and insults. Participation on these mailing lists is a
privilege, not a right. We grant the privilege to everybody, but also
reserve the right to remove the privilege.

Brett, Titus, I support your decision.

Christian