[python-committers] Fw: CoC violation (was: Retire or reword the "Beautiful is better than ugly" Zen clause)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Sep 20 20:47:44 EDT 2018

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 15:35 Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> On 09/20/2018 02:17 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
>
> > I will also say I didn't voice an opinion or participate in the
> discussion on the conduct WG when deciding how to handle
> > it (beyond outlining our levels of escalation when handling these
> situations).
>
> One thing missing from the ban notification is the length of time?  If
> this is the first offense it should only be two
> months, right?

The request was for a permanent ban based on the severity and calculated
infraction that it was. (And we have always been clear on the list that we
reserved the right to skip steps based on severity, so this is not a change
in policy.)

> And I have to argue against his use of the n-word* as being part of the
> reason -- he wasn't calling anybody that, he was
> using the word as an example of a taboo in one culture that is not in
> others.  Using that as part of the reason to ban
> him helps me understand the sentiment voiced at the sprints of the feeling
> that the CoC is a weapon waiting to shoot us
> down.
>
> I fully appreciate the frustration of trying to moderate these lists with
> our limited tools, but we still need to be
> careful of the reasons we use for moderation actions.

Which is why I'm hoping we can eventually get a clear enforcement guide
written for all the mailing lists and then have a specific group of people
manage all of these incident reports and deciding how to handle them for
consistency. Otherwise we have our current situation where every list admin
has to figure this out for themselves and do the best they can on their own.

And it's all stuff I'm bringing up in the WG, but I also have to stop
drowning in conduct issues before I can put in the emotional energy to even
have that conversation.

I already lost sleep last night over having to institute this ban knowing
there was a strong chance of a backlash based on how things have been going
as of late. And I now dread reading my personal email, half-expecting there
to be yet another issue I have to go deal with. At the current rate I'm
going I will have to do my month-long volunteer detox in October which I
really don't want to do as that's probably when we are going to discuss
governance proposals and I want to participate in those discussions, but I
also would rather bow out of those than burn out entirely.

And I quickly want to say thanks to everyone who has checked in with me to
ask how I'm doing and offering to somehow help (which my answer to the
latter is "get the Discourse test instance up"). And thanks to Mariatta,
Zach, and anyone else who have been leading on GitHub and bugs.python.org
where people are still acting out.

conduct-wg at python.org.