[python-committers] I have blocked someone from the Python org

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Sep 13 12:35:46 EDT 2018

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 at 09:23 Antoine Pitrou <antoine at python.org> wrote:

> Regardless of whether that behaviour should be tolerated or not, there
> should be a procedure for this and not a single person banning other
> people at will, especially if it follows their own involvement on the
> topic at hand.

There should be, but there currently isn't one and with no governance model
we unfortunately won't have one for at least a little while. I'm hoping
that getting clarification on this sort of thing will happen under whatever
governance model we end up choosing.

The last time we tried to establish a procedure I remember the one thing we
could agree on was that this list be made aware of any actions taken, hence
my email. If people disagree with the ban or want to time-box it then that
discussion can happen.

I will also mention that I asked other core developers here at the dev
sprints to make sure this action was not being too reactionary due to how I
was involved and the consensus was to proceed with the ban and the email as
planned (there was only some disagreement on for how long and they said
they would follow up here). I will also say that other core devs actually
wanted a ban to start based on the GitHub comment left and I argued the
person deserved a chance based on how heated the topic involved has become.

-Brett