[python-committers] Moderation of the Python community

Łukasz Langa lukasz at langa.pl
Wed Oct 17 18:39:50 EDT 2018

> On 17 Oct 2018, at 20:44, Brian Curtin <brian at python.org> wrote:
>
> To me that's still a thing we should at least start to work on amongst ourselves, as opposed to something like the issues of offensive word choice or name calling. With the former we have some things to work on smoothing out towards a common goal, and the latter we just want none of.

We should all strive to be professional. The CoC is there to give everyone the ability to work toward, as you say, a common goal. While I would like to believe that we judge ideas on technical merit, since we are invested in this project, all too often we see conversations get heated. Things spill over from the technical ideas to ad hominems.

I hope that we can improve discussions and moderation. If we do, then the CoC becomes infrequently used. Yet, it is important to have as a reminder and a signal to pause when things get overly heated or personal.

- Ł