[python-committers] Moderation of the Python community

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 18:06:33 EDT 2018

I think you're dramatically overestimating a) the possibility that someone
would attempt to use the CoC process frivolously, b) the possibility that
the CoC WG would act on such a complaint without good cause.

FWIW I was involved in removing a core developer from another community for
CoC violations. It was fucking exhausting, and I think basically everyone
involved was burned by the process. I cannot imagine anyone trying to
maliciously or frivolously use such a process.

Alex

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 6:03 PM Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com> wrote:

> Le mer. 17 oct. 2018 à 21:09, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> a écrit :
> > Honestly, I think an independent group managing these issues is the
> right way to handle them. I’m loathe to bring it up because the situation
> was a long time ago, and has been resolved, but I’ve personally had to
> engage the CoC process in regards to another core developers behavior. At
> the time the way that was handled was contacting the PSF board, if the
> process was instead to contact python-committers or something I likely
> would’t have done it at all. I think it is important that if someone feels
> they’re having a problem in a particular space, that they feel they have an
> impartial and independent group of people to raise those concerns with.
> >
> > With regards to whether the CoC can evict a core developer of Python.. I
> think it absolutely needs to be able to do that. Otherwise it’s basically
> stating that it’s fine for someone to harass someone else… as long as the
> person doing the harassing is a core developer. If anything, core
> developers should be held to a higher, not a lower standard. Obviously
> excommunication is not step 1 on any CoC, and such a thing would only be
> used after a history of repeated, on going unacceptable behavior, but if
> the CoC doesn’t have any teeth, than it’s not worth the metaphorical paper
> it’s written on.
> >
> > So, when it comes to the conduct we expect from people, core developers
> should not be treated specially in either expectations nor process.
>
> Ok, now in the case of my PEP 8015: do you think that the "Python Core
> Board" should be involved in the process to evict a core developer of
> Python?
>
>    https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-8015/#python-core-board
>
> For example, can we imagine that a core developer would only be
> evicted if the PSF conduct WG *and* the Python Core Board would agree
> to evict the core dev? Such situation should be very exceptional, and
> it may be unpopular if the conduct WG and the Python Core Board
> disagree :-(
>
> If the Python Core Board can block an eviction (have "a veto" on the
> final vote), the risk is that friends of the Board are "protected" by
> their friendship. And it also opens the question of an evicting a
> member of the Python Core Board in case of extremely severe Code of
> Conduct violation... But this question can be asked as well for
> members of the PSF conduct WG :-)
>
> I don't know the answers to my question. But maybe it would be safer
> for everyone that the *worst* case (evict a core dev) would be defined
> somewhere, as in a PEP.
>
> Victor

All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing.