[python-committers] Moderation of the Python community

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Wed Oct 17 15:44:20 EDT 2018

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 1:09 PM Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2018, at 11:34 AM, Brian Curtin <brian at python.org> wrote:
>
> I think this type of issue is better solved internally to our team,
> perhaps via some form of mediator(s) I mentioned earlier, rather than
> involving a wholly external group. Time is of course a finite resource in
> open source, and people work is often/usually harder than code work, but I
> think we do have some people around who care about the success of the
> project to spend time mediating these kinds of conflicts so that we keep
> everyone involved and solve whatever problem at hand in a satisfactory
> manner.
>

> Honestly, I think an independent group managing these issues is the right
> way to handle them. I’m loathe to bring it up because the situation was a
> long time ago, and has been resolved, but I’ve personally had to engage the
> CoC process in regards to another core developers behavior. At the time the
> way that was handled was contacting the PSF board, if the process was
> instead to contact python-committers or something I likely would’t have
> done it at all. I think it is important that if someone feels they’re
> having a problem in a particular space, that they feel they have an
> impartial and independent group of people to raise those concerns with.

Especially given who I've now found out is on that working group, I'm fine
with them managing issues of behavior, but we should be able to
(responsible for, even) handle standard team dynamics amongst ourselves.
Maybe I was/am missing something, but I got the sense that Victor was
describing something like technical discussions that get heated because two
sides are passionate about their stance—a common and generally reasonable
thing to occur—and that was where some people might find the distinction
between conflict and misbehavior blurred. To me that's still a thing we
should at least start to work on amongst ourselves, as opposed to something
like the issues of offensive word choice or name calling. With the former
we have some things to work on smoothing out towards a common goal, and the
latter we just want none of.