[python-committers] 1 week to Oct 1

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Thu Oct 11 04:10:10 EDT 2018

Le jeu. 27 sept. 2018 à 01:28, Mariatta Wijaya <mariatta at python.org> a écrit :
> Really sorry folks, but I also would like to request an extension, by one week to Oct 8.

The PEP 8000 lists 5 governance PEPs:

"""
PEPs in the 8010s describe the actual proposals for Python governance.  It is
expected that these PEPs will cover the broad scope of governance, and that
differences in details (such as the size of a governing council) will be
covered in the same PEP, rather than in potentially vote-splitting individual
PEPs.

* PEP 8010 - The BDFL Governance Model

  This is a placeholder PEP for the continuation of the `Benevolent Dictator
  For Life <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benevolent_dictator_for_life>`_
  model.  The name is an homage to Guido's title and does not necessarily
  imply that the next BDFL will be required to serve without time limit.  Also
  within scope is whether an advisory council aids or supports the BDFL.  This
  PEP does *not* name either the next BDFL, nor members of such an advisory
  council.  For that, see PEP 13.

* PEP 8011 - Python Governance Model Lead by Trio of Pythonistas

  This PEP describes a new model of Python governance lead by a Trio
of Pythonistas
  (TOP).  It describes the role and responsibilities of the Trio.
  This PEP does *not* name members of the Trio.  For that, see PEP 13.

* PEP 8012 - The Community Governance Model

  This is a placeholder PEP for a new model of Python governance based on
  consensus and voting, without the role of a centralized singular leader or a
  governing council.  It describes how, when, and why votes are conducted for
  decisions affecting the Python language.  It also describes the criteria for
  voting eligibility.

* PEP 8013 - The External Governance Model

  This PEP describes a new model of Python governance based on an external
  council who are responsible for ensuring good process.  Elected by the core
  development team, this council may reject proposals that are not
  sufficiently detailed, do not consider all affected users, or are not
  appropriate for the upcoming release.  This PEP does *not* name members of
  such a council.  For that, see PEP 13.

* PEP 8014 - The Commons Governance Model

  This PEP describes a new model of Python governance based on a council of
  elders who are responsible for ensuring a PEP is supported by a sufficient
  majority of the Python community before being accepted. Unlike some of the
  other governance PEPs it explicitly does *not* specify who has voting
  rights and what a majority vote consists of. In stead this is determined
  by the council of elders on a case by case basis.

* PEP 8015 - Organization of the Python community

  This PEP formalizes the current organization of the Python community
  and proposes 3 main changes: formalize the existing concept of
  "Python teams"; give more autonomy to Python teams; replace the BDFL
  (Guido van Rossum) with a new "Python board" of 3 members which has
  limited roles, mostly decide how a PEP is approved (or rejected).
"""

The PEP 8000 still says "Additional governance models may be added
before the final selection.": are we still expecting new governance
PEPs? Or should we remove this sentence?

In clear, does anyone want to write a new governance PEP?

Victor