[python-committers] A plea to stop last-minute changes to governance PEPs

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Mon Nov 19 11:32:11 EST 2018

On 19Nov2018 0530, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 at 11:24, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>> - Steve Dower is considering withdrawing PEP 8013 entirely [4], which
>> if it happens would be a major substantive change to PEP 8013 that
>> voters would want to know about!
>
> Knowing about it - definitely. But more importantly, I'd like to know
> *why*! If Steve no longer considers his proposal worth voting for,
> what is his logic, and what does he consider a reasonable alternative
> for people who *did* want to vote for it? Personally, I'm not that
> worried as that wasn't one of my preferred proposals, but I do think
> that if you have created a proposal, you have a certain level of
> responsibility to the people who liked it to give them information on
> what you view as the "migration path" from what they voted for to
> where you are now (and "not being able to vote for it" is a pretty
> extreme case of that!)

[I corrected the quote to read PEP 8013]

FWIW, I'm thinking about withdrawing it because PEP 8016 captures my
highest priorities (specifically, core developers don't have a monopoly
on decision-making skills, and don't apply unnecessary constraints on
whoever leads in this PEP). The rest of my proposal is just enough
detail to be functional, but I'm not really wedded to it, so if there's
an alternative that mirrors the core values then I'll tell people to go
vote for that instead of mine.

Right now there's one blocking concern I have with 8016 [1], but once
that's fixed I'll happily just tell people that if they were planning to
vote for PEP 8013, they should have been putting 8016 second anyway, and
now they can just put it first :)

Cheers,
Steve

1.