[python-committers] Timeline to vote for a governance PEP

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 20:01:15 EDT 2018

[Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>]
> I don't know what "multi quote" means, unless it means quoting multiple
> people's text in your reply. (Which I can do in email by copying and
> pasting.)
>
> Can you link to an example of this useful multi quoting please?

Sure - here's a message in which I included bits of three other peoples' posts:

    https://discuss.python.org/t/python-governance-electoral-system/290/30

This is "better" than email copy-paste in several ways:

- It's very easy to do.  Just select the other message's text you want
to quote, and a "Quote" control pops up.  Click that and the selected
text is properly formatted in your reply, automagically attributed to
the original author, and automagically linked back to the original
post.

- In your completed message, two controls appear on every chunk of
quoted text.  Clicking one jumps directly to the message you quoted.
Clicking the other expands the full text of the quoted message inline,
with the part you quoted color-highlighted.

That last is my favorite.  It's great to see whether important context
was snipped.  And, once you're used to it, I expect you _will_ snip
"important context", because it's so easy for the message reader to
just click to see the full original context - if they want to.

So, in the example I linked to, the quotes I included were very brief.
In email I would have quoted much more, because it's so hard (at least
in Gmail) to _find_ the original messages again.

The "multi" is a nice thing, but all of the above applies too when
just quoting from a single source.

In the context of the message thread you were replying to  (which I'm
not quoting here at all, because it's such a PITA to find the original
bits in Gmail), the "theoretical point" was that multi-quoting doesn't
play well with a threaded view:  your reply is "a child" of _every_
message you included pieces of.  The "message tree" is no longer a
tree.  Which I really don't care about ;-)