[python-committers] Suggestion: A PSF grant for running a "Core Dev Mentorship Program"

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Fri Nov 2 09:37:51 EDT 2018

Le 02/11/2018 à 14:19, Tal Einat a écrit :

> I would also like to work towards these goals. I have recently invested
> more time on the core-mentorship mailing list and Zulip stream, as well
> as doing my best to mentor two promising developers. However, my free
> time is becoming increasingly limited again, and I am learning that
> effectively mentoring a developer requires being able to spend a good
> amount of time nearly daily on such mentoring.

I'd *really* like to know why that is the case.  Most existing core
developers didn't need "a good amount of time" to be spent "nearly
daily" on their mentoring to get them up to speed.  Instead they
progressed slowly on the contribution curve, with due feedback from
senior core developers, but without requiring extended attention.

Contributing to a large mature project like CPython requires dedication
and significant prior experience.  If someone needs a large amount of
hand-holding then that's a bad sign IMO.  There are much simpler and
more approachable projects out there if they'd like to learn
contributing to open source software.

I'd also like to know what the current outcomes of the "Core Mentorship"
program are.  How many core developers or seasoned contributors did we
get from it?  The core-mentorship mailing-list has been existing since
2011, so we should have ample experience by now.

Regards