[python-committers] PEP 8015: Organization of the Python community

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Thu Nov 1 13:10:12 EDT 2018

Hi Brett,

I just updated my PEP to take in account your comments.

Le ven. 12 oct. 2018 à 20:33, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> a écrit :
>> Team members are Python contributors and Python core developers. The
>> team is responsible to select who can join the team and how.
>
> How is this bootstrapped? Do I get to declare myself the "import team" and then I get to choose who joins after that?

I added the first paragraph and added "self-organized" in the second:

"""
When enough developers are interested by a specific topic, they can
create a new team. Usually, the main action is to ask the Python
postmaster to create a new "SIG" mailing list, but the team can choose
to use a different communication channel.

Team members are Python contributors and Python core developers. The
team is self-organized and is responsible to select who can join the
team and how.
"""

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-8015/#python-teams

>> Board members must be Python core developers.  It is important that the
>> members of the board reflect the diversity of Python' users and
>> contributors. A small step to ensure that is to enforce that two members
>> cannot work for the same company (or subsidiaries of the same company).
>> In addition, to encourage more people to get involved, a core developer
>> can only be a board member twice (up to 6 years total).
>
> Is the two-term limit forever, or just consecutively?

I clarified the limit of 2 mandates:

"""
In addition, to encourage more people to get involved, a core developer
can only be a committee member twice in their whole life (up to 6 years
total), it can be two mandates in a row.
"""

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-8015/#election-of-python-steering-committee-members

Does it look better to you? If not, would you mind to propose something?

Victor