[python-committers] A different way to focus discussions

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Tue May 22 17:58:39 EDT 2018

> On May 22, 2018, at 5:50 PM, Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> IMHO the discussions on the PEP 572 became a mess because nobody
> wanted to moderate the discussion. I asked on python-committers how to
> calm down the discussion, but no action has been taken and the flow of
> emails didn't stop.

FWIW, I think this is a key thing— Mailing lists are not easily moderatable. There’s no way to pause discussion, redirect, etc besides generating *more* email (and the tooling to do it is lackluster, it’s pretty much just asking people to do something, and hope everyone complies). Fracturing the discussion amongst multiple repos is one way of handling that, another option is better tooling for moderation.