[python-committers] Changing commiter status

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Tue Jun 19 15:55:19 EDT 2018

On 06/19/2018 11:17 AM, Brett Cannon wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 at 17:56 Guido van Rossum wrote:

>> I'd do it as follows. This basically makes withdrawal voluntary unless
 >> they don't respond at all.
>>
>> 1. Make a list of people who've not shown any sign of activity (on the
 >> b.p.o. or GitHub, as reviewer or committer) for at least one year.
 >>
>> 2. Email all of them, asking if they still want to be a core dev. Choices
 >> could include
>> Â  a. Yes
>> Â  b. Keep the logo and b.p.o. access but disable GitHub key
>> Â  c. Drop everything
 >>
>> 3. If someone doesn't respond despite repeated attempts (maybe using
 >> different email addresses or social media) then after 4 weeks assume
 >> they meant to answer (c). But if they write back later they can be
 >> restored according to their preference (a, b, c), no questions asked.
>
> One point I want to make about this pull approach versus a push one is this
 > is going to be a lot of work. :) For the "no GitHub username" situation on
 > bugs.python.org <http://bugs.python.org> there are 80 people to reach out
 > to. For people with commit rights who have not committed in the past year
 > to CPython (because that's the best data point I have without writing custom
 > code to find out who has commented on a PR recently), that would require
 > reaching out to an additional 50 people. So we're looking at potentially up
 > to 130 people to try and track down.

I'm happy to do this.

> We can make a complete list as people seem to want that and have it be active
 > versus emeritus and list the year people got their commit rights.

> At the end of that month whomever is still listed as emeritus we turn off
 > their commit access and b.p.o extras. We announce this here, python-dev,
> social media, etc. IOW this becomes more opt-in/push than opt-out/pull.

The problem with this approach as it's one time -- as soon as someone fades away it's once again out of date.

I'll take on the task of contacting the 130 people to get this started, then once a year somebody does the same thing
with whichever handful of people have gone dormant that year.

Sound fair?

--
~Ethan~