[python-committers] Vote to promote Pablo Salingo Salgado as core developer

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 17:33:56 EDT 2018

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 10:16 AM Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com> wrote:
> I propose to promote Pablo Salingo Salgado as a core developer and so
> open a vote during one week. If there is no strong opposition, I will
> promote him but also continue to mentor him for a least one month.
>
> [snip]
>
> I am mentoring Pablo Salingo Salgado since January. I am watching his
> hard work since last September. He made many non trivial and useful
> contributions to Python.
>
> I think that he understands well how Python is developed, is
> respectful, try to find answers alone before asking, and is eager to
> learn. In case of doubt, he ask others before doing something, like
> closing an issue. I trust that Pablo will respect opinions of others,
> like not merging a PR if someone disagree.
>
> [snip]
>
> If Pablo is promoted as a core developer, I propose to continue to be
> his mentor for at least one month, and ask him before merging any PR.

+1

I have had no negative (or any) experiences with Pablo and otherwise
trust Victor's judgement and mentoring.

Regarding if Pablo has done "enough", ultimately folks get commit
privileges at the point that they show they will be a benefit to
Python development and we trust them enough to merge PRs.  Any other
criteria feels rather secondary, considering the variety of ways a
core developer can contribute.  We don't need to aim for exclusivity.
(It's not like we have a limit on the number of people that can have
commit privileges.)  In this case we have a respected core developer
(Victor) expressing his trust, suggesting that Python will benefit via
Pablo, and offering to mentor him.  Unless someone says they do not
trust Pablo, I don't see any reason here to object.

That said, I agree that core developers in particular should be active
on the issue tracker and reviewing PRs, and it makes sense to reward
folks you show a commitment to helping there.  I just don't think that
is necessarily a major criteria for becoming a core developer,
especially when someone like Victor vouches for the candidate.
Sometimes I wonder if we scare off otherwise amazing folks because
they think we expect a significant sacrifice of time or we
inadvertently make them feel like they aren't good enough.  It's easy
for us to mess this up! :/

-eric