[python-committers] Proposal: an explicit, time-limited moratorium on finalizing any governance decisions

Mariatta Wijaya mariatta.wijaya at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 13:10:26 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 8:59 AM Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> I had Carol's same worry that while it's great to have a "no sooner than"
> date, we also can't let this drag on and we have no "settle by" date, else
> we risk losing the faith of the community in our ability to come together
> and make decisions (e.g. if I heard it took a year for a project to resolve
> this then I would think there was some major divisiveness on the team).
>
> So could we go with Nathaniel's idea of no decision before October, but
> any proposals to be ready by then as well as Ethan suggested?
>
> I would also propose we have a goal of at least choosing the governance
> model by the end of the year (and a stretch goal to even have people placed
> into created positions by then as well). I have no problem with sooner, but
> I think it might be good to try to put _some_ upper bound on this.
>
> -Brett

Sounds good.
So what about the following timelines:
Oct 1: Deadline for people to come up with proposals of governance model,
candidates, and how to vote
Dec 1: Deadline to choose a governance model, (and if possible, we choose
the new leader(s) too)
Jan 1: Deadline to choose the new leader(s), if not already chosen by Dec 1.

?