[python-committers] An alternative governance model

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 09:51:06 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 8:15 PM Eric V. Smith <eric at trueblade.com> wrote:
> On 7/17/2018 10:02 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> > I’d like to propose an alternative model, and with it a succession plan, that IMHO hasn’t gotten enough discussion.  It’s fairly radical in that it proposes to not actually change that much!
> >
> > TL;DR: I propose keeping a singular BDFL and adding a Council of Advisors that helps the BDFL in various capacities, with additional responsibilities.  I also have someone specific in mind for the NBDFL, but you’ll have to read on for the big reveal.
>
> I've come to this same conclusion. I think Brett would be a good choice,
> and I'd support him, but I think the more important part is that it be a
> single person.

+1

IMHO, if we can have someone we can trust then a BDFL is the best
option.  Brett definitely fits that criteria for me. (Plus Canadians
are "Benevolent" by definition, right?)  Barry's proposal to have the
council supporting (and guarding against) the BDFL gives the proposal
better stability in the face of the unknown future.

-eric