[python-committers] Identify roles of the BDFL

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Jul 14 20:08:48 EDT 2018

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018, 15:56 Brett Cannon, <brett at python.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 13, 2018, 17:11 Carol Willing, <willingc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 13, 2018, at 11:39 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 at 03:44 Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> * Diversity. Last years, the BDFL was a strong player to enhance the
>>> diversity of core developers and contributors by mentoring directly
>>> Mariatta Wijaya, and suggesting regularly to mentor more people from
>>> minorities whenever possible. He also likes to wear PyLadies t-shirt
>>> and support DjangoGirls ;-)
>>>

>> I lump this into the community and PR bucket as I don't know if we need
>> to be worrying about appointing a head of diversity right now as that
>> doesn't tie into governance. If, once this is all over, we want to take our
>> diversity efforts to another level then a diversity SIG could be formed,
>> but I don't see this as a BDFL thing and more of a team thing that someone
>> choose to spearhead.
>>

>> Brett,
>>
>> I'm wondering if prematurely placing this in the community and PR bucket
>> gives mentoring and inclusion among the core developer enviroment enough
>> strategic importance. Knowing how gracious you are, I suspect that you
>> personally are viewing it as such. Yet, I'm not sure that by removing this
>> as a role that Guido has played is best for the language or the developer
>> community.
>>
>> If I look at the many important roles that Guido has played, I personally
>> believe that he has been someone who encouraged many women (and I'm sure
>> others as well) and most importantly provided a safe place to share ideas.
>> If we reflect on Mariatta's PyCon talk and Summit talk, it's clear that we
>> should not overlook this role as growth and improvements still need to
>> happen here.
>>
>> I believe that improving the overall communication and professionalism on
>> mailing lists and PEPs is important to continuously improve the culture and
>> discourse. While this may help improve inclusion (and is a step in the
>> right direction), I would encourage everyone to reflect on Mariatta's talks
>> and consider whether improvement will happen if members of
>> GUIDO/elders/triumvirate/kittens of entropy and anarchy/pick your
>> governance/etc. don't believe, embrace, and make this a priority  in
>> stewarding the future of the Python language.
>>
>> tldr; We don't need a head of diversity. What we need is leadership that
>> embraces inclusion and will steward the vision for improvements.
>>

> Yes, and I'm assuming no one would end up on any council who doesn't hold
> these views. My poorly made point is I don't know if we want to lump all of
> this together such that this council is expected to lead all of these
> points explicitly. IOW if I were to make a PSF comparison this is like the
> council being the board and they would be expected to support a diversity
> SIG/WG.

And after sending this I realized the council -> board analogy might
suggest more power than the council will probably have. Anyway, my key
point is I'm trying to avoid burnout for anyone ending up on this council
by making them directly responsible for too much while still expecting them
to be good representatives of the team (like I would hope we all strive to
be).