[python-committers] Transfer of power

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 02:32:27 EDT 2018

On 13 July 2018 at 00:57, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> Now that PEP 572 is done, I don't ever want to have to fight so hard for a
> PEP and find that so many people despise my decisions.
>
> I would like to remove myself entirely from the decision process. I'll still
> be there for a while as an ordinary core dev, and I'll still be available to
> mentor people -- possibly more available. But I'm basically giving myself a
> permanent vacation from being BDFL, and you all will be on your own.

Guido, thank you for the immense amount of time and energy you've
devoted to both designing and developing Python-the-language, and also
to building and supporting python-dev-the-collaborative-community.

I know I'd be a different person without the years of freely shared
experience, knowledge, and advice that I've benefited from by being
part of this group.

> I'll still be here, but I'm trying to let you all figure something out for
> yourselves. I'm tired, and need a very long break.

Take all the time you need - you've built a strong design community
here, and hopefully we can arrange things in away that allows you to
rediscover the fun parts of contributing without the burden of always
needing to be the ultimately responsible decision maker :)

Cheers,
Nick.