[python-committers] Transfer of power

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 13:41:52 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:55 AM Yury Selivanov <yselivanov.ml at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you, Guido.  This is a sad day for me personally; I really hoped
> you'd lead Python for a few more years.  On the other hand, Python is
> in good hands, you've built a large enough and diverse community
> around it!

+1

Thank you for putting so much time, effort, and care into both the
language and its community!  We cannot thank you enough.

> As for the new governing model, I imagine that we don't need to make
> any decisions *right now*.  As Victor suggested, core devs can simply
> count +1/-1 on any language feature and we'll see how it goes.  Or
> maybe the first such vote should be on the new governing model? :)  I
> really hope that we won't have an excruciating debate on the mailing
> list about the governing model though; maybe we can discuss it on the
> upcoming core dev sprint.

In the short term we could appoint a *temporary* triumvirate to fill
in as BDFL (with the intent to re-assess the situation in September if
we haven't resolved on a permanent solution by then).  That would
allow us to maintain business-as-usual (and try out a triumvirate).
If we go that route then I'd recommend Brett, Nick, and Barry.

-eric