[python-committers] Adding "Co-authored-by" in commit message.

Mariatta Wijaya mariatta.wijaya at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 18:32:11 EST 2018

I learned today that GitHub now supports multiple author info in a commit.

https://help.github.com/articles/creating-a-commit-with-multiple-authors/
and
https://github.com/blog/2496-commit-together-with-co-authors

It can be done by adding:

Co-authored-by: name <email address>

as the footer of the commit message.

I tested this in CPython:
https://github.com/python/cpython/commit/6ea75b174da0cf824e2acc5db6b53798f5f4e4f9

I suggest we start adding this where it makes sense, to give proper credit
to PR authors. What I've seen is that we've only been writing "Original
Patch by <someone else>".

One scenario is when we convert someone else's mercurial patch to GitHub
pull request. Or when someone started a patch, and another person finished
it.

The other scenario is with miss-islington's backport PRs. I will try to
find time this week so that miss-islington or cherry_picker will add the
"Co-authored-by:" automatically.

Mariatta Wijaya