[python-committers] cherry picking, miss islington, and generated files

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 23:38:00 EST 2018

We already have Travis checking 'make regen-all' and 'make clinic'
(assuming it's working correctly).

--
Zach
(On a phone)

On Feb 4, 2018 9:09 PM, "Nick Coghlan" <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

On 4 February 2018 at 00:54, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2018, at 20:40, Mariatta Wijaya <mariatta.wijaya at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Sure, I sort of asked this in the past: what are the generated files,
how to identify them, is there a pattern?

> I’m not sure there’s going to be a pattern so much as a list of such
files.

- all C files may potentially contain Argument Clinic headers that
modify them in place
- build input files (configure.ac, etc) may change the other build artifacts

At the moment, I think we're still relying on humans to notice those
problematic cases, but we may be able to at least have CI fail if
"make regen-all" actually changes any file contents for checked in
files.

Cheers,
Nick.