[python-committers] Reminder of BDFL succession timeline + CFP

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 20:19:10 EDT 2018

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 3:55 PM Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl> wrote:

> Nathaniel, you strike the nail on the head here.
>
> The reason Guido as BDFL and therefore ultimate authority on what “python” is worked because it is organic: it is not set down in strict rules and regulations and timelines and percentages of votes and what not. It works because a very large fraction of the community accepts it. (And I know I’m mixing past and present tense and I’m doing it on purpose:-)
>
> We need to come up with a new governance model, and I think that a rules-and-regulations model is not a model that Python will thrive by. On the contrary, I think it has the danger of moving people into a rules-and-regulations mindset, and therefore lead to all sorts of decisions being viewed in a “political” light, where before they wouldn’t be.
>
> And my worry is that be introducing deadlines and all that in the process there is the danger that we will inexorably move to a strict governance model. I would much prefer a process where we go here/there/everywhere and slowly a consensus builds up.

I agree and that's why I also don't like the idea of having a strict
set of deadlines for voting on something that hasn't even been
proposed yet.

OTOH, it would be great if we can at least set a date to start the
discussion so that everybody can plan for it and join.  That's the
only way to keep the discussion open and equally accessible for
everyone.  If we do nothing, then naturally, those core devs who know
each other personally will start forming their opinion in isolated
groups. Many people will feel that they are completely removed from
the decision process and will end up in a very uncomfortable position.

Yury