[python-committers] Reminder of BDFL succession timeline + CFP

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Aug 2 16:55:16 EDT 2018

On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 at 00:24 Ronald Oussoren via python-committers <
python-committers at python.org> wrote:

> > On 2 Aug 2018, at 01:06, Yury Selivanov <yselivanov.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 6:44 PM Mariatta Wijaya
> > <mariatta.wijaya at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> Currently any undecided PEP is stalled, and no one can pronounce on
> them.
> >
> > And maybe that's OK for a few months? I don't recall Guido ever
> > accepting PEPs promptly. :)  Setting strict deadlines really seems
> > like a last-resort option.
>
> That, and it might be acceptable to start with a consensus based model for
> accepting PEPs at first. That would help in getting it clearer what we
> really need going forward (which as several people have stated is more than
> just deciding on PEPs).  That would mean that contentious PEPs would have
> to wait longer, but that isn’t necessarily a bad idea.

So basically you want to see if we can find consensus on using consensus
for PEPs? ;) Or put another way, basically this seems to suggest giving the
consensus/voting approach a chance without specifically saying you want to
give other proposals on how to model PEPs a chance as well because deciding
by consensus is still a governance model.

Personally I would rather say that we are in a language moratorium until we
resolve this governance situation and if that means Python 3.8 is a boring
release then so be it.