[python-committers] Reminder of BDFL succession timeline + CFP

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Aug 2 03:49:51 EDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 05:29:00PM -0700, Mariatta Wijaya wrote:

> Please don't misunderstand my wanting to set up a deadlines and process as
> wanting to rush things.
> I'm open to extend the dates, and even wait another year if we need to.

Please no. Leaving things in limbo for a handful of months is one thing,
a year or more is not. In a year, we will have completely lost all
momentum on this. Deciding on a model for Python's future ought not to
be an endurance competition, where the winner is the one who can wait
the longest until everyone else has moved on.

Failing to choose a model to drive the future of Python in a reasonable
time is a choice in itself. If folks want to actively propose a policy
of (temporary or permanent) stability (a.k.a. stagnation) for the Python
language, let them do so. I'm sure that would be popular to many people.
It might even win a democratic vote. Dragging this process out for a
year or more is, de facto, such a policy (regardless of whether it was
intended as such) and such a policy ought to be decided openly, not
accidentally or by stealth.

> Or do folks want to come up with a completely different process than what
> I've proposed?
>
> In the end, I just want to know whether we will come to decision before
> 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, .. ?

Indeed. A hard deadline concentrates the mind. It doesn't need to be
tomorrow, I think your choosen dates are a great balance, neither too
quick nor too drawn out.

If Python is still rudderless by Christmas, I think we have failed.

--
Steve