[python-committers] Reminder of BDFL succession timeline + CFP

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 18:28:43 EDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 5:26 PM Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
[..]
> Now we have to figure that out: the legitimacy of any new governance
> system is ultimately going to have to rest on the consensus of the
> core devs. The only way I know to get that is by taking the time to
> work through the difficult conversations. If these deadlines just
> encourage people to keep moving and engaging, then that's great. But I
> worry that if we impose a cut-off like this up front, then we'll take
> that as an excuse to skip doing that work, because there's no time,
> and if someone disagrees it's easier to vote than to actually engage
> and work it out.

+1.  I don't like this idea of having strict deadlines that we must
follow no matter what.

IMO it would be better to set a "recommended date" (Oct 1st is fine)
for submitting governance proposals.  We can start discussing them
publicly after Oct 1st, and will set a strict deadline for voting when
we are all comfortable.

Yury