[python-committers] Idea: Create subteams?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Apr 27 11:56:03 EDT 2018

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 at 07:41 Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com> wrote:

> Ok, maybe asyncio is not a good candidate to experiment. I know that
> asyncio internals are complex, and asynchronous programming is hard.
>
> Sure, the risk of regression in the Documentation is lower :-) But it
> doesn't mean that we should accept any change in the doc. I already
> saw people proposing to fix the doc, whereas they misunderstood
> something and the doc was plain right :-)

While I have no issue with the subteam concept (e.g. we have the
import-team on GitHub that automatically get asked for PR reviews for
relevant files), doing what you're asking will require some coding which is
always hard to get people to do. ;)

The other option is we follow our own traditional practice of granting
people commit rights for subsets of the code base and trust them to not
overstep their comfort zones. I don't see why we can't do the same for
documentation. If we trust them enough to change our docs then we should
trust them enough to not touch C code unless they have the appropriate
experience.