[python-committers] Idea: Create subteams?

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 10:31:46 EDT 2018

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 10:12 AM Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com> wrote:
[..]
> I identified 3 obvious subteams:

> * Documentation
> * IDLE
> * asyncio

Sorry, asyncio isn't an obvious choice for me. There are not so many
low-hanging fruits left in asyncio except improvements to its
documentation. I'm a firm -1 to allow people to merge without Andrew's or
my review at this point, almost no PRs are fine when they are submitted
(including our own). There's a lot of complexity in asyncio which isn't
immediately evident to people who are not working with its internals on a
daily basis.

Now, people who report and submit asyncio PRs seem to do that just fine
without subteams. Although it's rare to see people contributing more than
once, but that's not an asyncio-specific pattern, I see it in every big and
complex project I happen to contribute to.  Even having a dedicated asyncio
mailing list doesn't help to get people to contribute to asyncio more
frequently.

Don't get me wrong, Andrew and I would certainly welcome any help we can
get, but I'd be against running a public experiment with asyncio to see if
2 of us can handle the management of the new sub-teams idea.  Unfortunately
2 of us just don't have capacity for that.

Please pick another project for your idea. Maybe we should try it for
documentation first, where we have a lot of core devs who can help with PR
reviews and management of "subteams".

Yury