[python-committers] Hacktoberfest

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Thu Sep 28 13:04:37 EDT 2017

Le 28/09/2017 à 18:58, Stefan Krah a écrit :
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 09:21:04AM -0700, Mariatta Wijaya wrote:
>> October is hacktoberfest (https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/)
>> In the month of October, people can sign up and contribute to open source
>> projects on GitHub. If they make 4 PRs during Hacktoberfest, they'll earn a
>> limited edition T-Shirt.
>
> This may sound grumpy to some, but I'm against gamification of open source
> and also against giving GitHub a special role.

I don't like gamification, but the t-shirt thing sounds innocuous
enough.  I would be more worried if such a scheme became permanent.
Also I'm not even sure we can prevent this one for CPython PRs:

"""To get a shirt, you must make four pull requests between October 1–31
in any timezone. Pull requests can be to *any public repo on GitHub, not
just the ones we’ve highlighted*.""" (emphasis added)

Regards