[python-committers] Should I merge a PR that I approved if it was written by a different core developer?

Berker Peksağ berker.peksag at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 20:09:56 EDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 12:27 AM, Victor Stinner
<victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Before the GitHub era, in the old "Mercurial era", the unwritten rule
> was to not merge a patch written by a developer who has the commit
> bit, to not "steal" his/her work. The old workflow (patches attached
> to the bug tracker) didn't allow to easily keep the author. You had to
> find the author email and full name and specify it manually.

I was quite happy with that unwritten rule because it also gave me the
opportunity to watch buildbots on my own time. If you merge my PR in
the middle of the night in my time zone, I can't check buildbots in
the next 15-20 hours since I don't always have time for CPython at
work.

Also, I personally don't dump all of the items in my TODO list in
every PR I opened so it would be better to let the author of the PR do
the merging (or at least ask them if it's ready to be merged)

> In the new Git era, the author and committer *can* be two different
> people. Examples with "git log --pretty=full":

Unfortunately, that doesn't work in practice because Buildbot doesn't
care about the 'committer' field and you don't get any notification on
IRC if you merged someone else's PR.

--Berker