[python-committers] Requirements to get the "bug triage" permission?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 12:54:50 EST 2017

Hi,

I identified some active contributors and I would like to offer them
to get the "bug triage" permission. What's the requirements to give
such permissions to someone?

On my "Different stages of core developers" "lader", it's the 3rd
stage ("step"?):

http://cpython-core-tutorial.readthedocs.io/en/latest/what_is_a_cpython_core_developer.html#different-stages-of-core-developers

Requirements to become a core developer (get the "commit bit") are now
written down:

http://cpython-core-tutorial.readthedocs.io/en/latest/what_is_a_cpython_core_developer.html#requirements-to-become-a-core-developer

It would be nice to write down requirements to get the bug triage permission.

IMHO the requirements are quite low:

* at least one commit merged in Python
* signed the CLA
* be nice and respectful
* don't close a bug if it's not well understood to not "loose"
information (closed bugs are ignored in search by default, and hidden
from the main page).

Did it happen in the past that we removed the bug triage permission to
someone who abused this power?

Maybe we can give some guide lines on how to behave on the bug tracker?

Responsability for bug tracker:

* Request more information if a report is incomplete
* Ping original reporters if they don't reply
* Adjust Python version, component, bug type, etc.
* Rewrite the issue title if needed
* Close duplicated bugs as DUPLICATE
* Close irrevelant bugs as NOTABUG

The exact behaviour on the bug tracker is not specified. For example,
when someone asks for help on code, I close the issue and suggest to
use a different forum to get help, without giving examples of forums
(since I simply don't know them :-)).

When the reported issue described a legit Python behaviour, I try to
explain the rationale of the behaviour before closing the issue as
"not a bug".

Sometimes I'm just tired of the 4th bug report on "floating point
rouding issue" and just give the link to the FAQ without explaining
anything.

Devguide §Helping Triage Issues
https://devguide.python.org/tracker/#helptriage

Victor