[python-committers] Guide to pushing to submitters' repo?

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Thu May 25 04:01:39 EDT 2017

Hi,

We now have a functionality to allow core developers to push to PR
repositories, but I can't find out how to make it work.

For example I have:

$ git remote -v
gescheit	git://github.com/gescheit/cpython.git (fetch)
gescheit	git://github.com/gescheit/cpython.git (push)
origin	https://github.com/python/cpython (fetch)
origin	https://github.com/python/cpython (push)
pitrou	git at github.com:pitrou/cpython.git (fetch)
pitrou	git at github.com:pitrou/cpython.git (push)

Then I try:

$ git push
fatal: remote error:
  You can't push to git://github.com/gescheit/cpython.git
  Use https://github.com/gescheit/cpython.git

So I try with the HTTPS URL instead:

$ git remote set-url gescheit https://github.com/gescheit/cpython.git
$ git push
Username for 'https://github.com': ^C

Did someone manage to make this work?  Can they post the entire
instructions they used? (including local branch setup)

(Context: trying to edit https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/1785)

Thank you