[python-committers] Github reviews are cannibalizing BPO

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri May 5 00:08:54 EDT 2017

On 5 May 2017 at 10:58, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2017 at 05:44:46PM +0000, Brett Cannon wrote:
>
>> (And just so I can claim I stated this publicly at some point; our Roundup
>> installation I think runs on Python 2.6 and Roundup itself has not been
>> ported to Python 3, so I don't know what we want to do if Roundup doesn't
>> make the switch by 2020.)
>
> Perhaps that's a good use-case for the PSF to (partially?) fund the
> porting effort.
>
> On the other hand... I can imagine some developers thinking "I just
> spent all this time porting my library to Python 3 for free, if I had
> known I would have waited".

Funded Python 3 ports aren't a new idea, as the PSF has been offering
& facilitating Python 3 porting grants since 2011:
http://pyfound.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/psf-proffers-payment-to-port-to-python.html

I know at least one former upstream Roundup developer recently moved
into freelance software development & consulting, so I'll chat to him
to see if he has any suggestions for possible ways forward here.

Cheers,
Nick.