[python-committers] Github reviews are cannibalizing BPO

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu May 4 13:44:46 EDT 2017

On Wed, 3 May 2017 at 13:42 Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> On 5/3/2017 1:25 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2 May 2017 at 11:29 Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu
> > <mailto:tjreedy at udel.edu>> wrote:
>
> >     It would easier to move discussion to bpo if there were a clickable
> link
> >     from PR to bpo, just as there is in the opposite direction.  I
> believe
> >     that there is a workflow issue to add this, but last I knew, it was
> >     bogged down in where to put the link, or something.
> >
> > The idea is being tracked at
> > https://github.com/python/bedevere/issues/3 and it isn't bogged down so
> > much as the people typically writing these bots/integrations having the
> > time to implement the idea. I should also mention I'm hoping to have the
> > link be accompanied with a short blurb reminding people to keep
> > discussions on GH to just code reviewing and everything else going to
> bpo.
>
> I saw that and like the idea.
>
> Moving on ...  The next issue I have run into is that people can submit,
> review, or otherwise comment on the PR without being nosy on the issue.
> They will thus miss any further bpo discussion.  One could not submit or
> comment on a bpo patch without becoming nosy on the issue (and the same
> might have been true for Rietveld reviews).  Is there any possibility of
> making people nosy on bpo automatically if nosy on a PR?

Possible, yes. Trick with this is getting the change made. People need to
realize that basically Maciej and Ezio have done all of the bugs.python.org
code changes as of late (although a lot of the initial work was done by
Anish Shah as a GSoC project). So you basically need to either convince one
of those two to make this work or it's time to start learning the Roundup
code base :)

(And just so I can claim I stated this publicly at some point; our Roundup
installation I think runs on Python 2.6 and Roundup itself has not been
ported to Python 3, so I don't know what we want to do if Roundup doesn't
make the switch by 2020.)