[python-committers] Github reviews are cannibalizing BPO

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Wed May 3 07:07:53 EDT 2017

On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 06:06:59PM +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> 5. Easy reactions: no native +1 support to avoid "Usenet nod syndrome"
> without spamming folks following the issue

All platforms (except maybe Stackoverflow) who have voting use +1 more in a
"high five" sense than for actual agreement.

A lot of folks don't use these buttons out of principle so one will never
get an accurate "popular opinion".

Other people don't post at all because they don't like downvoting (there
goes the often cited inclusiveness).

Would you have liked those buttons in a memorable mailing list thread
about a trivial unittest change a couple of years ago? I wouldn't.

Voting should be reserved for concrete finished proposals.

Stefan Krah