[python-committers] Github reviews are cannibalizing BPO

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Wed May 3 04:18:28 EDT 2017

Le 03/05/2017 à 10:06, Nick Coghlan a écrit :
> On 3 May 2017 at 05:09, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> This doesn't have much to do with UX/UI. It's mainly a questions
>> of culture.
>
> It's about the UI/UX for me, as Roundup is missing a few modern
> collaboration features:
>
> 1. Easy user mentions: I can't just mention someone inline based on
> autocompletion, I have to go up and add them to the nosy list
> 2. Easy issue mentions: I don't get autocompletion pop-ups for issue
> cross-references to help fill in the right ones
> 3. Easy editing: if I post incorrect information, or the goal of an
> issue changes, that gets buried in a subsequent correction post
> 4. Easy formatting: RoundUp is plaintext only, with no ReST or Markdown support
> 5. Easy reactions: no native +1 support to avoid "Usenet nod syndrome"
> without spamming folks following the issue

One growing gripe I have with Github is that their UI has become quite
slow to load and render in recent years.  It's become a bit grinding to
navigate through issues or load long-winded discussions.  bpo by
contrast is quite snappy (probably by virtue of having a more
rudimentary UI, of course).

As for "native" +1 mentions in Github, I tend to find them unhelpful, as
I don't know why people say "+1" at all.  So I usually ignore them.

Regards