[python-committers] Github reviews are cannibalizing BPO

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue May 2 16:02:09 EDT 2017

On May 02, 2017, at 03:54 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

>To touch on this a bit more, arguably GitHub is *more* suited to long form
>discussion, given that it includes the ability to format your text which is
>an incredibly important part of producing readable content more then a few
>sentences long. You can attempt to apply some of this with bpo using ASCII
>representations, but an inlined URL or a footnote to the URL is never going
>to be as good as a hyperlink, or an inlined image, or bold, italics, etc.

This might be true w.r.t. GH vs. bpo, but both of them are inferior IMHO to
mailing lists or other types of threaded discussions.  Personally, I find
GitLab to have a better conversational UX than GitHub, but neither is threaded
so it forces the discussions to be linear.  That's okay for many discussions,
but far inferior to more wide ranging discussions.

-Barry