[python-committers] 4 weeks with the new workflow: what needs changing?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Mar 15 20:00:11 EDT 2017

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 at 16:26 Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Mar 14, 2017, at 06:16 PM, Ned Deily wrote:
>
> >There is one pattern that is happening fairly often and that I think we
> >should do something about.  That is, non-committers submitting a PR
> without
> >first opening an issue on BPO.  It gets very old fast trying to enforce
> that.
> >Perhaps one of the bots could flag PRs that do not have a BPO ref in their
> >titles?
>
> Should there be a way to override that?  In another project of mine on GH,
> we
> use a 'trivial' tag on the PR to bypass that check.

But that would require that external contributors know to set that label
ahead of time and I'm willing to bet most won't.

I see two ways of solving this. One is to have a bot that leaves a comment
when an issue isn't seen, otherwise it leaves a comment with a link back to
the original issue for easy access. The other is we add a PR template that
mentions that the title should include a reference to the issue for
anything but the most trivial PR (and to create an issue
otherwise).Obviously there's a great variance in effort required but also
with the usefulness of what the solution does.