[python-committers] 4 weeks with the new workflow: what needs changing?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Mar 14 17:07:24 EDT 2017

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 at 10:04 Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2017, at 11:54 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>
> I actually kind of like the idea of a mentionbot, but the current
> implementation has some problems.  Rather than calculating who should be
> mentioned based on TIL (touched it last), it would be nicer if this got
> closer
> to solving Raymond's comment.  If the domain expert could be notified when
> PRs
> touch stuff they care about, that might be better.  The mentionbot could
> then
> be opt-in for folks who want to see more detail.
>

> So mention-bot supports that, it just needs configured

Specifically, if you look at https://github.com/facebook/mention-bot and
note the alwaysNotifyForPaths option. The problem is what happens to the
experts file? If we end up managing both that file and the mentionbot
confis separately then it leads to a bifurcation of where we track that
info. At that point we have to either consider something to use to easily
update one based on the other (e.g. pull in the experts file and use it to
update the mentionbot config), or we come up with our own solution to the
problem.

> . I suspect though that it’s touched-it-last mentioning will get better
> once we get more people with commits under their actual name.

As I think Antoine pointed out, if people are doing fixes that don't
require domain knowledge then that can skew the results (whether that will
skew that much I don't know).

-Brett