[python-committers] 4 weeks with the new workflow: what needs changing?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Mar 12 17:11:15 EDT 2017

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 at 06:33 M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> On 10.03.2017 23:13, Brett Cannon wrote:
> > Fifth, anything I missed? :)
>
> My main nit after the move is that messages to the checkin list
> no longer include the full patch. This makes reviews harder than
> necessary (you always have to go through the browser).
>
> Is there some way this could be changed back to what we had
> previously or is this a hard limitation of github ?

It's a hard limitation *of the GitHub-provided email solution*. With
GitHub's APIs and enough time someone could either come up with a custom
email solution or a web page that showed this information (you literally
just need to add ".diff" to the end of a URL to get the diff itself for a
PR, e.g. https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/648.diff will redirect to a
raw diff). There might also already be other solutions out there that do
what you're after.

Obviously this all requires work on someone's part. :) (I've also moved
completely off of an email-based workflow so I'm definitely not the right
person to drive this sort of thing.)