[python-committers] Bedevere now automatically removes "needs backport to *" labels

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jun 20 12:11:07 EDT 2017

On 6/20/2017 11:36 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>> I think it's because there was no 'needs backport to 3.4' label from PR
>> 1849, so it doesn't make the comment about 3.4 backport PR.
>
> Oh, I see. These labels don't exist :-) Maybe we should add them,

I would rather we don't,

> but only security changes should be backported to 3.3 and 3.4.

and these will hopefully remain rare.

> I can do the bot job for these specific backports ;-)

In the future, 'needs backport to x.y' will mean 'attempt to do the
backport automatically'.  (The labels should then be changed to
"Backport to x.y")  Backports to older versions are more likely to have
merge conflicts and need manual intervention or even pre-commit testing
anyway.

tjr